Sometimes, hiring a personal shopper, personal stylist or image consultant can be perceived as a luxury for your market. Remember, nobody wants to spend money! As a business and service provider, it is up to you to communicate with your audience the benefits of hiring such a person. This post was shared by FIPI member Katy Dyer. You can check out Katy’s business and website here.
Do you really need a personal stylist?
If you’ve watched makeover shows on TV, gazed at personal transformations in glossy magazines, read about celeb personal stylists or perhaps even seen a friend or colleague really up their game in the style stakes, you may have thought that a personal stylist is just for a chosen few or those with an endless clothing budget.
In reality, it couldn’t be further from the truth.
Before you read on, just take a couple of moments to consider the clothes in your wardrobe. More specifically, those items that you never or rarely wear (and yes, that does include that item you bought months ago that still has the tag on!). As you virtually cast your eye over your clothes, add up the value of those unworn items.
How much did you get to – £100, £500, more? It may surprise you to learn that on average over a lifetime, women in the UK spend close to £15,000 on clothes which they never or rarely wear. So perhaps it’s not about being able to afford using a personal stylist – but whether you can afford not to.
So, how do you start? Well, let’s consider how to dress to feel confident, comfortable and well, more you.
There are four attributes – clothes and accessories which:
- flatter your physical characteristics (colouring & bodyshape)
- complement your personality
- are appropriate for the occasion
- are current (note: shoes are a HUGE giveaway)
All of the above and more are covered during a personal styling consultation. So knowing this is useful, yes – but what are the benefits of spending money and without having actual clothes to show for it?
- It will improve your confidence – you know exactly what to wear to suit the occasion or job role and keep up to date.
- Wearing colours and styles that flatter you physically will make you look younger and healthier
- The ability to adapt your wardrobe to suit your lifestyle – never again have a wardrobe full of clothes and nothing to wear!
- Save time shopping for clothes & choosing outfits
- Save money by & have less clothes that you wear more
- Know where to shop (brands and locations)
- Have clothes that work with other items in your wardrobe – never again have that expensive item that you love but doesn’t really go with anything
- Confidence and pride in your body shape – knowing how to choose clothes to suit and fit you (rather than trying to change your body fit the shapes that fashion dictates).
Your FIPI Team x